Growing up, my family always used to make sweet potato casserole at Thanksgiving, and sometimes Christmas, too. When I went vegan many years ago, this was one of the first recipes I aimed to veganize. Now that I’m also somewhat of a health freak as well, I admittedly don’t make this nearly as often…but once a year, I do pull this one out around the holidays and serve it to a crowd, who happily devours it so I don’t have any leftovers 😀
- 4 medium-sized sweet potatoes (we’re aiming for about 4 c mashed)
- 1/2 c sugar
- 2 TBS flax seeds
- 1/2 c coconut milk beverage
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 TBS coconut oil
- 1 tsp grain-free vanilla extract
- 1 c brown sugar
- 1/2 c gluten-free flour
- 1/4 c coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 c pecans
- 1/2 c walnuts
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheint (177 degrees Celsius).
- In a large pot of water, boil the sweet potatoes until tender. This will take about 30 minutes.
- Drain the water and carefully mash the sweet potatoes with a fork. You may want to let them cool first before mashing, for safety!
- Measure out 4 c of the mashed sweet potatoes to use. Place these in a large bowl.
- Add the rest of the Filling Group ingredients to the 4 c of mashed sweet potatoes.
- Spread the potato mixture in a lightly greased 8 x 11″ (20 x 28 cm) casserole dish. Set aside.
- In a food processor, combine all of the Toppings Group ingredients. Pulse until the mixture resembles large crumbs that stick together.
- Carefully spread the crumb mixture on top of the potato mixture, being mindful not to disturb the potatoes too much.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheint (177 degrees Celsius) for 35-45 minutes, or until the crumb topping starts to brown.
One thought on “Sweet Potato Casserole…Vegan Style”
This is exactly what I was looking for…I have missed this taste since going vegan. Gonna try this with the fam 😍