Coconut is one of our favorite flavors….obviously 😀 These soft and delicious vegan coconut cookies are packed with coconut–AND friendly to most of the allergies and food sensitivities out there.
Vegan Coconut Cookies – What Else?
They’re not only vegan but also gluten-free, nut-free, soy-free, egg-free, and dairy-free!
I am constantly fishing for suggestions on cookie flavors to make, and allergies to accommodate…and when a friend suggested to make something with coconut, that was the perfect excuse to throw together a recipe. Kitchen time creating new recipes is sort of a stress reliever for me. However, ironically, I’ll generally only focus on cooking when I have an audience…eg, someone willing to eat the results. Hungry friends and family, social events, etc. are my perfect excuse 🙂
Variations on these might include adding about 1 c of nuts or chocolate chips (provided you’re not allergic!), which is one of my personal favorites. We tried them last time with roasted cashews, and they were delicious that way, too.
A note on coconut oil
When baking with coconut oil, it’s a good idea to get it in a sort of mushy state–one that’s not too liquidy and also not rock solid! You should be able to spoon it out of the jar easily.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (177 degrees Celsius).
- Mix all ingredients together thoroughly in a large bowl.
- Slightly grease a cookie sheet with a small amount of coconut oil.
- Drop dough in balls of approximately 1 TBS each. Leave a cookie width of space between each one; these don’t spread a whole lot in the oven, but this should ensure that they won’t run together.
- Place the cookie sheet in the freezer for about 15 minutes.
- Bake at 350 Fahrenheit (177 Celsius) for about 8 minutes. Do not overbake!
Who did you make these for? Did you add any chocolate chips, nuts, or seeds as a variation? Tag us with your creations on Instagram @coconutsandsunshineblog!